Home > Tourism > San José de Gracia

Historical summary of The Broken Christ
 

Its origins date back to the time of the Chichimecas indigenous congregation coming from the surrounding area of Tepatitlán, Jal. During this period, the invasions of the kingdom of Michoacán were done by the Spanish on the sides of the Sierra Fría, in a place that in the course of the time will be named "de Martha", between the years 1673 and 1675. In 1928, because of the construction of the Calles barrage, the municipal county town has been suppressed. After that, one time again it has been decreed county town in 1934 and became effectively a municipality in 1953.


The small community had 16 families that lived of the hunting, the fishing, the cut and the wood carve. This community was managed by the Indian Juan Domínguez. Those men, women and children were humbles, honest and hard workers. Their way of dressing was Nahua about the poncho. They had long hair and used as defence arm the arch and the arrow. Their home was done with stones, of mud and of grass.

They managed to have their small society which was commonly named jacales or huts. The most salient historical vestiges are part of the regional history. We gave the name to the old village of “San Joseph” in honour of the son of the king Fernando VII (Joseph Villaseñor) of 1862.

At the time of the independence, the father Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla arrived to this land, and let a memorable trace in this village in the route of the liberty or Ruta de la Libertad. After his last rout in the bridge of Calderón, the 19 January 1811, he took refuge in the harms of this warm social niche for 5 days. After that, he belonged to the hacienda of Pabellón de Hidalgo where he lost the position of leader of the insurgent movement.

About the village life, an event changed the way to think of the inhabitants, that without any doubts gave a feeling that increased the religious devotion about the Christianity with the arrival of the original Lord or Señor Original, the most beloved image and adored by those loyal inhabitants. This legend told that this Christ arrived in a wood box on a mule. This animal went in direction of the main door of the temple after having wandered various days in some roads of the place. No one known he came from and none muleteer was its owner, until the moment where various men coming from rural zones came and put the box in the temple. After that, they opened it and discovered the box contents. It was a very beautiful image of our redemptory crucified. They rang the bells to assemble people; they took it out to do a pilgrimage. They acclaimed it with songs, prayers; they gave it the benediction for families, by this way the faith for the Christ to whom natives called it the patron saint of San José has been created.

In 1926, the church and the government had an opened confrontation, the war Cristera. Strong attacks in general against religious occurred in the mountains and in the road of San José. All that helped to fight to have an equilibrated distribution of the inherited lands of them.


During this same year the government of the president Plutarco Elías calles decided to construct the country first hydraulic work, using communal lands and of the outskirts. The construction begun approximately the 30 may 1927 and finished the 30 June 1928. This great barrage of cement was the first agriculture irrigation zone of the low-lying lands of the hill of Aguascalientes or Valle de Aguascalientes.

But the cause has been so great that this very small village was the place where the tabernacle tower was seen from a long way away. It has been destroyed by the waters of the barrage and disappeared completely.

In 1930 San José has been abandoned. Among the personages that took the decision to create a new village we had, Antonio Ventura Medina, Rafael González Guerra, Juan García among others, in add of owners of exploited lands in common that fought to have a secure place to live.

   

 

   
 Tourism
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
   
® All Rights Reserved - Aguascalientes State Government 2010 - 2016 About the Web Site l Frequently Asked Questions Tel. (052) 01 800 900 2002