Home > Tourism > Touristic Attractions > Exhaciendas

Lic. Hiram Iñiguez Rangel, Gerente
Venustiano Carranza # 203-3
Zona Centro
Phone. 994-15-44
E-mail: haciendagarabato@gmail.com
 Touristic Tours:
Vive ecoturismo
Expedición Azteca
SOM-Sistem Tour Operadora

Hacienda de Garabato and San Isidro Labrador Church  
This very old hacienda, which dates back to the 17th century, and which was one of the first in the nation to breed fighting bulls, is named from a spiny herb that abounds in the region and is called “garabatillo”. The real and original name is the hacienda of San Isidro Labrador. In the heydays it reached an extension of 10 thousands hectares dedicated to agriculture and livestock farming. In its lands were bred several types of cattle but it’s until 1887 when begins the breeding of wild oxen; next, its cattle began to appear in the fights, thanks to the seed and the high class of its animals, being incorporated in the livestock association for fighting bulls. Presently it remains very little of this kind of cattle in the area.

Around the hacienda are still conserved, sometimes in ruins, some of the dependences that show us the importance these productive units in their epoch among which we find, the stables, and an unroofed chapel dating back to the 17th century, all those built in thick walls of adobe.

The heart of the hacienda and its surroundings are walled, which reveals us the times of insecurity with bandits’ attacks, reason why the owners had it walled.

The temple of San Isidro Labrador, which rises magnificently, came to replaced the old chapel. It was ordered by the owner of the hacienda at the end of the 19th century. The work was charged to the autodidact master Refugio Reyes, who showed again his talents in this work. All the inside objects were brought from France.
® All Rights Reserved - Aguascalientes State Government 2010 - 2016 About the Web Site l Frequently Asked Questions Tel. (052) 01 800 900 2002