Home > Tourism > Touristic Attractions > Exhaciendas
 
Hacienda de Cañada Honda      Public Restricted Access
 
To the northwest of Aguascalientes, only 22 kilometers away from the city, by the road going to Asientos, is located the rural community José María Morelos where is located the ex hacienda of Cañada Honda.

The hacienda dates back to the 19th century and had at this time an extension of 6000 hectares. Originnally was property of María Aldana de Camarena, but in 1898 it was auctioned, passing to the hands of José Luis García Rojas and Don Guadalupe Gonzalez. It had access to the river Chicalote, the dams. More than 500 people lived in this land.

By 1933, the lands of the hacienda was exploited under three systems of work: the direct exploitation in charge of the hacienda, the exploitation realized by means of sharecropper and the lands rented to third parts for which was paid a fixed sum to the owner.

During the cardenism, the hacienda was touched by the agrarian reform, and since 1937, the great house was converted into normal rural school for women. The property is beautiful, the archway that prolongs the corridor in front of the house was realized with yellow quarry of Cavellinas and was a work of Refugio Reyes, whose creative ingenuity manifested in several parts of the house.

The various rooms of the house are located around the central patio and at the center a great fountain ornamented by a feminine sculpture. Next to it, an octagonal shaped building which served as a pumps store, strikes the attention. In front of the house is a small but lovely park, with four access portals in each corner which gives it relief. Next to it, is the chapel of the ex hacienda with tow sections and pilasters semi-detached of the walls.
 
 
   
 Tourism
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
   
® All Rights Reserved - Aguascalientes State Government 2010 - 2016 About the Web Site l Frequently Asked Questions Tel. (052) 01 800 900 2002