Home > Tourism > Touristic Attractions > Neighbourhood
 
SAN MARCOS Neighbourhood
 
 Historical Review 

At the beginning of XVII century the directed efforts began to bear fruits to determine the progresses of Aguascalientes, by which indigenous immigrant’s tlaxcaltecas arrived towards the year of 1604. These colonists settled down to the West of Aguascalientes and founded the District of San Marcos.

The High Court of Guadalajara set out that it had independent authority; the new town had 442 people who lived on the product of their orchards.

September 2nd of 1733, Dr Don Manuel Colon Larreategui takes possession of this place, in which he constructed from the foundations the church of the town of San Marcos.

 
 San Marcos Church 

Formerly known like Temple the New Town of Indigenous of San Marcos, founded by a group of Indigenous on 1604. This temple began to construct before 1655 and remained unfinished by space of more than one hundred years until it was finished completely in 1765.


The facade is of a very poor Baroque style of 3 bodies. In the second body, a stained-glass window of the Image of the Virgin del Carmen. The sumptuous belfry tower is of two bodies and this emphasizes the Baroque height. To the flanks, the walls are supported by solid abutments and flying buttresses.

The interior is of a single nave with Latin cross vase. In the Presbytery is the Greater Altar of Neoclassic style, to the center the Virgin of the Carmen and in the upper part, the sculpture of San Marcos. There is a magnificent oil of Jose de Alcibar located in sacristy, in where the artist makes a wonderful interpretation of the religious subject "the Adoration of the Kings to the Infant Jesus" who dates from 1775.

 San Marcos Garden
   

The land granted the 3 of May of 1831 to create a park, has a rectangle shape whose sides measure 168 meters in length by 88 meters wide. The 9 of March of 1842 the construction of a balustrade began, work that was impelled by General Nicholas Condell (Governor of the State, 1842-1843), ending the magna construction in 1847. The cast iron kiosk was inaugurated in 1891. Describing the garden, this one is delimited by a neoclassic balustrade in pink quarry, with accesses towards the four cardinal points and finial vase form.

 San Marcos Bullring 
   

 

This bullfighting set a record of 48 days in its construction. It was inaugurated the 24 of April of 1896, with luxury celebrated bullfighter and an impressive full up. From then it dates the close relation of the Fair of San Marcos with the bullfighting spectacle. From 1988, due to its reduced capacity, bullfighting events are celebrated and during the Fair of San Marcos it works like Theater of the Town.

 
 San Marcos Convention Center 
   

This beautiful building was constructed in its whole of yellow quarry. The building is used as Convention Center by the Government of the State and during the National Fair of San Marcos works like casino where great variety of chance games settles. Annexed to this building is palenque (the arena) of roosters fights, for many, the greatest and beautiful of Latin America; in it, national and international artists appear every year.

 
 Encierro's Monument   

Piece of work of the artist Jorge de la Peña Beltran from Guadalajara. Encierro it’s made of iron bars of a single intention and fused in bronze, represents seven bulls and a farm manager way to the bullfight where there will be to demonstrate their fierceness. Each bull weighs one ton; the farm manager 1.700 kg. The sculpture measures 24 meters in length per 10,5 of wide and has an average height of six and a half meters. Its presence is a perpetual tribute to the aguascalentenses cattle rising since each bull takes noticeable the iron of a cattle ranch of the zone.

 Monumental Bullring 

The new enclosure for bullfighting was constructed in 1974, in a more accessible place, with capacity for 9.000 spectators. In the following years their facilities remarkably were improved, being integrated to the set of the Expoplaza in 1992. At the moment it has a capacity for 15.000 people and in it the best exponents of the bullfighting art have appeared. In its North side is the statue of "Armillita", the most famous bullfighter of Aguascalientes.

Its architecture and ornamentation consist of religious symbolic elements and own reasons for tauromachy; as far as their operation, the sanitary, hydraulic and electrical facilities were improved, in addition it counts on systems against fire. The surgery room is the best one of the world in its type. The chapel was reorganized, full space of meaning where is an image of the Black Christ of the Encino, patron saint of the local bullfighters.

It is the only bullring in the world that has service lift for old and handicapped people..

 
Lienzo Charro 

This construction is built in the middle of the decade of 70's and in it the charreadas ones are carried out that are celebrated in the city. Similarly this place serves to carry out musical functions with musical groups of the moment.

   
 Tourism
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
   
® All Rights Reserved - Aguascalientes State Government 2010 - 2016 About the Web Site l Frequently Asked Questions Tel. (052) 01 800 900 2002