Home > Tourism > Touristic Attractions > Neighbourhood
 
Station Neighbourhood
 
 Railroad Station Background
 

It was constructed by the necessity to create a source of transformation in the transportation. At the end of XIX century and beginnings of the XX, the present station began its construction and it is one of the few that conserve its original condition.

The general factories of construction, repair of machines and rolling transport material were constructed at the beginning of XX century, got to be one of greatest of Latin America.

In the, 30's it was the most romantic districts by its dominical strolls walking by the Alameda Avenue.

 
 Train Station
 

In Aguascalientes railroad was a center of great importance in the Mexican System, its railroad tradition dates since last century.
The present station was  the second constructed, in a provicional character, that it was located alongside South of the present crossroad with Alameda Avenue.

The building began the contruction in 1910 and it was inagurated in 1911, it was a job made by G.M. Bozzo. It has a Californian colonial style, also it has some elements with hispanic influence. The arrangement has two levels and it is covered of roofing tile with four slopes.

This building is a clear example of the rail network architecture, in which a series of prefabricated construction equipments was used. The stamp of this small and colorful terminal fits perfectly with the province image cheers and smiling that still conserves our city. Together it has been the Garden of the Station, one of the favorite places of the railway workers and their families for several generations.

Until the 40´s, it was a custom very rooted between the local families, almost in ritual, to go in the afternoons to the station, to take a walk by its platforms and to wait for the arrival or exit of the trains, to listen to the local band and to wait for the new news brought to the city by means of the mail that transported the railroad.
 
 Alameda Avenue 
   
This beautiful and wooded avenue decorates the section between the route of the railroad and the Ojocaliente Baths’. It has a long dimension of 900 meters in length by 64 of wide, and in its central grass there are, majestic and firm, four rows of aged poplars. This beautiful road was constructed the last century by the end of, in order to communicate the Eastern end of the city with the New Baths of Ojocaliente. In addition, the access was simplified to the railway station; something very important: the bordering lands belonging to the property of Ojocaliente soon acquired an urban appearance.
 
 Old Baths of Ojocaliente 
 
These ancient baths are also called the Great Baths. During the colonial time, in these lands natural pools and drains with thermal waters formed that appeared of the spring. The spring of Ojocaliente was the source of supply of more important water of the city from its foundation.

In 1808, Don Manuel Maria Tello, owner of the property of Ojocaliente asked for authorization for the construction of baths, thing that did not happen due to the war of Independence. In 1831, Colonel Jose Maria Rincon Gallardo, powerful man and new owner of the property, commanded closely together that the baths were constructed, of the spring, the news alarmed the City Council, because it feared that the water was scarce in the city and ordered the work suspension until finally the construction was allowed him.

These baths were opened to the public with recreational aims in the middle of the last century and are one of the first sites of Touristic interest whereupon it counted our city. The hydraulic architecture and of services of this building has had modifications through the time. As it is now, it exists from aims of the last century. It is of neoclassic style with French influence.
 
 Cultural Center Los Arquitos 
 
The Baths of "Los Arquitos" first was built the pleasure of the inhabitants, since those of the Ojocaliente had from their beginning a medicinal character. It was also known them like the Down Baths, to differentiate them from the Great Baths from Ojocaliente to which the families of great economic resources went traditionally turning these visits strolls; whereas the humble ones took advantage of the drains to sky opened like baths. Its construction was approved by the city council on May 4th in 1821; for such effect the tank of the springs with the integrated water box was constructed to an underground aqueduct of 1348 meters in length, uniting to the baths, spurting to the 13 pleasures or bathtubs, the four baths outdoors, the Orchard, the set of public laundries and by the end of XIX century to the well-known pond like "the PUGA".


The set is conformed pro constructions of different times, between which it emphasizes the old Hotel San Carlos, of neoclassic style, its ponds outdoors and their neogothic arcade; the front of the same style which was the main entrance.

In the National Plan of Development 1989-1994, one settled down in cultural matter the importance of the rescue and conservation of the archaeological, historical and artistic patrimony of the country.

Consequently, in December 19th of 1990, was published in the Official Newspaper the Presidential Decree by means of which the architectonic set called the “the Arquitos’ Baths’", was declared historical monument.

At the beginning of 1993, with the purpose of turning it a new Cultural Center that facilitated the educative access to the culture and services to the population, the works of architectonic rescue, the project of restoration began and adaptation of the building began. It corresponds to the Cultural Institute of Aguascalientes (ICA) to give promotion and diffusion to the cultural activities in general and individual to artistic education in the Cultural Center “Los Arquitos", which opened its doors to the public in November of 1994.
   
 Tourism
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
   
® All Rights Reserved - Aguascalientes State Government 2010 - 2016 About the Web Site l Frequently Asked Questions Tel. (052) 01 800 900 2002