Home > Tourism > Touristic Attractions > Neighbourhood
 
Encino Neighborhood
 
 Historical Background 
 

The district is based on XVI century by the Andalusian Don Hernan Gonzalez Berrocal, which requested to the Real Court of the City of Mexico, that was granted him land favor, naturally with base in some powers that this court had granted by the King of Spain, it occurred to this land favor the July 7th of 1565, in Chichimeca land; the certificate of land favor settled down limits: to the north the thermal water river today Adolfo Lopez Mateos Ave., to the South Arroyo Seco.

Don Hernan Gonzalez Berrocal and his family were settled extremely in indigenous conflicting land since there they lived chichimecas that constantly assaulted the Spanish foundations; in spite of those it got dangers to develop with great success. To the death of Don Hernan Gonzalez Berrocal the land favor was divided and turned into beautiful orchards. This district was cradle of outstanding personages in the tauromachy art.

 
 Encino Church  
 

The priest Mateo Jose de Arteaga got the space to erect a chapel, which was probably dedicated to the Archangel San Miguel, October 4th of 1764. The construction of the present temple began in January 12 of 1773. It was dedicated the church to the Senior del Encino, the days 10 and 11 of March of 1796.


The 13 November of every year, overflow the popular fervor in honor and glory to the Black Christ of the Encino, since its miraculous appearance is commemorated: one says that a neighbor of the city, when cutting the logs of an Encino, found within it the image of Jesus Christ. In June 19 of 1854 were named the church in to parish. A public clock of repetition was placed the 19 of February of 1878.

The temple is situated in the heart of one of the old districts and greater tradition in Aguascalientes. The building has own architectonic characteristics of aim of century XVIII; that is to say, it belongs to the last manifestation of the baroque one, in its modality in the form of an inverted pyramid, and already presents some characteristics of the neoclassic architecture, mainly in the tower of three bodies.

The extraordinary placed pictures of great size in the sidewalls powerfully call the attention of the visitor. One is the Crucifix Route, pictorial collection made in the year of 1798 by the master Andres Lopez.

 
 Encino Garden or the Paz 
   

It was inaugurated officially the 16 of September of 1890. It has a tile inscription, recalling as much the foundation of the District of Triana, that took place the 7 of June of 1565, like to his first settler: Don Hernan Gonzalez Berrocal. It consists of a small wooded garden with pines, palms and some flowers. It is decorated with some iron benches and a central fountain with tiles (apparently, this one was placed in 1882), which have drawings of birds and vegetables.

 
 J. Guadalupe Posada Museum 
 

Contiguous to the temple of the Encino, was the cultural house of this temple, now installed the museum dedicated to the famous aguascalentense engraver, Jose Guadalupe Posada, been born in 1852. Their ample corridors and rooms adapted specifically for the exhibition of original works of the engraver, whose revolutionary subjects are of a festive critic to the regime of the government of his time.

It consists of four rooms. The first works like gallery, in the second room, exhibits the work of Manuel Manilla, colleague of Posada. One third room works like exhibition hall of followers of this art, and the last room is a library; it has a great cultural wealth of almost five thousand books, which includes an important theater and poetry work collection.

In the central patio, every Sunday at noon cultural events with the participation of independent groups and the Cultural Institute of Aguascalientes are carried out.

   
 Tourism
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
   
® All Rights Reserved - Aguascalientes State Government 2010 - 2016 About the Web Site l Frequently Asked Questions Tel. (052) 01 800 900 2002